Monday, February 14, 2011

So this is the entry I never wanted to write…

After almost exactly one year and one month after Dad passed, my mother passed away Sunday, Feb 13th in the early hours of the morning.  This may sound silly, but I’m so thankful for my crazy dog Tojo, because he KNEW what was going on.  He wouldn’t let me go to sleep because he kept whimpering next to mom.  I brought him to bed with me but he wouldn’t go to sleep, he just sat there looking at the door wanting to go back in the living room with mom.  And he’s definitely not the type of dog that doesn’t sleep at night:
View album

There’s not much to say about what happened, but she went peacefully, and two of the few things I understood her say Saturday was “I feel fine” and “I love you.”  Luckily Rocky was sleeping in mom’s room and slept all night.  I am so thankful Greg was here with me to help me through this, and Donna, Kelly, Carolyn B and the nurse from Covenant came over to help us.
I don’t see how mom dealt with this same thing with Dad for so long, and I wish I could have helped her more, but even though it was sooner than expected, I am glad that she is in a happier place, and she hurts no more.  Her and Dad are looking down on us, they’re up there playing golf again together and will always be in our hearts! Red heart
One of the hardest things was having to wake Rocky up and tell my brother that Mom had joined Daddy in heaven, and she is no longer in pain.  He had a good cry, but he and I know that he has so much support with me and Greg, his entire family, the Orange Beach Elementary family, Lee Drug Store family and friends. 
Yesterday was the longest day of my life.  I thank every one of you that came to visit, and made it easier on Rocky and me.  We’ve had SO much support and I know we will forever.  Rocky chose to go to a friend’s house to play because so many people were coming in and out.  He came home about 5:00 after everything had settled down a bit.  He and Greg built a fire outside:
Photo Feb 14, 12 31 49 PM
Koda has been really mopey.  He was with her all night when everything happened, then I put him in his room, and when he came out he didn’t come to any of us, he was just looking all around the house for mom.
Photo Feb 14, 1 25 24 PM
I just got back from making helping with the funeral arrangements and picking out flowers – On the busiest day of the year for flowers! We got it covered though – going to go with a blue and orange and white, because she LOVED Auburn and Rocky LOVES orange and blue (because of Auburn of course).  Details for the funeral are below:
Thursday, February 17, 2011
Robertsdale United Methodist Church

8:30 Private Family time In the Church
9:00-11:00 am Public Visitation In the Church
11:00 am Funeral service In the Church
Immediately following Burial – Family/Employees Only! Baldwin Memorial Cemetery

In Lieu of flowers Memorial Gifts are requested to go to:
The U B Good scholarship fund at Orange Beach Elementary School
4900 Wilson Blvd
Orange Beach, AL 36561


The Steven Wayne Baker Sea, Sand and Stars Science Center
4900 Wilson Blvd
Orange Beach, AL 36561


Baldwin County Auburn Alumni Club Scholarship Fund
P. O. Box 1322
Foley, AL 36536


The Alabama Golf Association Women’s Scholarship Fund
Attention: Alyson Stuart
1025 Montgomery Hwy
Suite 210
Birmingham, AL 35216
Mr. Baker is going to bring a few friends over for Rocky to play with this afternoon and bring his Valentine’s candy.  We’ve just been relaxing today.  I’m going to continue this blog with everything including memories and pictures for you all, and for me.
There is so much more that’s going through my head that I know I want to write, but I’ll save it for later. 
Thank you to Aunt Sandy and Uncle Dave for these pretty flowers, and Jeff for the chocolates:
Photo Feb 14, 12 33 05 PMPhoto Feb 14, 1 14 03 PM
Love you all,
Whitney

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Whitney! Let me know if there is anything I can do !

Brandon Jones

Scurvy McBeady said...

Whitney,
I'm your dad's cousin. Gloria is my aunt. She has been keeping us posted regarding your mom's situation. We are so very sorry to learn of your mom's passing. She was a very beautiful and gracious lady.
We only met you once when you were seven or eight. And we met Rocky at your folks' house a few months before your dad passed. I'd be surprised if he remembered. We visited you all at Robertsdale, I believe. Your mom and dad also stopped by to see us in Little Rock one time. They bought a pet chinchilla while they were here.
If you and Rocky ever want to get away from everything, you're more than welcome here.
Meantime, we're praying for you both.
Blessings,
Audie & Pat Ayer

Anonymous said...

Whitney,
I played golf with your Mom and Grandmother and although they were much better golfers than I, they were always the most gracious and supportive women in the sport. You are fortunate to have a great family to love you two through this valley. Our prayers are with you today in the days ahead, Ken & Amelia Fletcher

John Jahera said...

I am so sorry to hear of your Mom. My thoughts and prayers will continue for you and your brother.

John Jahera

Whitney said...

Thank you so much everyone. We will make it through this!

m said...

I look forward to sharing in the joyful memories of your parents.. Always praying & thinking of you!

Post a Comment